Skip to Content
Agoura Hills Estate Planning, Probate & Trust Attorneys

How can I obtain a Federal Tax ID Number (TIN or EIN) for a Trust?

Providing Peace of Mind One Estate Plan at A Time

Applying for a federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Tax Identification Number (TIN) is a free service offered by the Internal Revenue Service. Beware of websites that charge for this free service.

In our law practice, certain types of Trusts, usually of the irrevocable sort, must operate using their own TIN. Decedent's estates will typically need to obtain a TIN to open estate bank accounts, sell property, file tax returns, etc.

The process is fairly simple. You can apply by fax or by mail (using IRS Form SS-4, here:, but the simplest method is online.

Just navigate to the IRS website here ( and complete the online questionnaire.

The IRS recommends you download and install the latest version of Adobe Reader software.

Still have questions? We recommend you speak with your CPA or legal professional. Better yet, call us (818.707.8200) to discuss your case.

[For information only; may NOT be relied upon as legal advice.]